It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:21 am Advanced search

Under the Upholstery

If it's in the cockpit or has anything to do with interiors, hoods, or sunbeds, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Eric T., Don Ayers, martinfeletto, RonSchultz

Under the Upholstery

Postby boatmanscm » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:15 pm

Some photos of what you may find under the upholstery. You just never know till its too late. So for any newbes , Look into the crystal ball.
I am not sure the best way to share my pictures . by items or just lumped in. So if I am doing this wrong , sorry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boatmanscm

Re: Under the Upholstery

Postby martinfeletto » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:13 am

Stan - thanks for posting.

Marty
martinfeletto

Postby TRITONE » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:41 pm

boatmanscm wrote:Some photos of what you may find under the upholstery. You just never know till its too late. So for any newbes .....

Hopefully, the owner is going to restore the boat before you do the upholstery.....
If not, maybe you should post the hull number so a future buyer would know what to be looking for..... :roll:
TRITONE

Postby Don Ayers » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:28 am

I had these same issues when restoring my Super Florida several years ago. I used a bondo type product to fill all the old staple holes.

First I used Smiths penetrating epoxy to seal up everything.

Then I let regular WEST epoxy soak into the holes

Then I used the bondo type product. It does not get rock hard so the new staples will not crack it. Basically I built up the old wood back to a new, fresh shelf from which I could staple to.

Don't know if you can see in these pics but the gray edge is the bondo material. I can go look at the name. It had chopped fiberglass mixed in it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Ayers
Oklahoma
1959 Ariston 266
Don Ayers

Postby Eric T. » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:51 pm

This is typical of a 4 year old wooden boat... regardless of maker.

The best bet is to do any repairs the wrap around area... repairing or replacing any structural supports as needed. Then, use a router and mill off about 8mm strip where the staples penetrate and epoxy on a new top layer...

Make sure that the entire support structure is repaired and sealed using a good epoxy system.... especially the part that upholstered over.

It is a bit of work, but in the end, the best method of repair!!
Eric T.

Return to Cockpit Interiors