It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:23 am Advanced search

restoring a formica dash board

If it's in the cockpit or has anything to do with interiors, hoods, or sunbeds, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Eric T., Don Ayers, martinfeletto, RonSchultz

restoring a formica dash board

Postby SA561 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:01 am

Hello,

My '64 super Ariston has been recently restored (deck, bottoms Netherlands) and revarnished. the only remaining problem is a cracked Formica dashboard. The best solution seems to me to replace it and I have either a formica board or a mahogany one to do that. My question is: Is it possible to take off the old one ,shape and glue a new one without a dismantling of the deck structure and what kind of glue (Bostik ?) am I supposed to use ? :roll: posting.php?mode=post&f=8#

Thanks to let me know if someone has tricks to do that.
SA561

Re: restoring a formica dash board

Postby Don Ayers » Wed May 08, 2013 6:21 am

If your Riva originally had a Formica dash that is what I would put back on to preserve the boat. You can do it without taking the dash out if you carefully make a pattern.

1. Do you have the exact correct Formica? the correct material is now available from http://www.rivaguru.com

2. You can scuff up the surface of the original and use epoxy to glue another layer on.

3. Be sure to clamp everything down very well and make a corner curve block to bend and hold it in place
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Ayers
Oklahoma
1959 Ariston 266
Don Ayers

Re: restoring a formica dash board

Postby SA561 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:00 am

image.jpeg
Ok, thanks a lot Don.
Yes I got a formica rol from RAM but I finally I opted for the replacement of the formica (period correct but "ugly"http://www.rivaforum.org/posting.php?mode=reply&f=8&sid=6f4d6eaad2d6d50ed11e0d6f4f9390c0&t=129# in my opinion...) with a Honduras mahogany placage one covered with Stoppani varnishes and UV protection. An electric windshield wiper instead of the vacuum one and a cigatette lighter added as a power source for GPS and so on . The steering wheel was electrolisis retinted (the colors inverted) and plexiglass holder replaced by a new one.
As we opened the stoppani cans we corrected some varnish cracks and imperfections omited in a previous hull restoration.
As weather is rotten here, our next summer restoration (painting and chroming) will be a pair of '70 folding "Cabin boy" bicycles (Riva colors of course), I am looking for "checker" or "zebra" saddle coverage...
I 'll let you know

Luc Delbecque
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SA561

Return to Cockpit Interiors