It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:09 pm Advanced search

Riva Olympic

Every so often the Rivaforum team will pose a question asking for your thoughts. We'll step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Eric T., Don Ayers, martinfeletto, RonSchultz

Riva Olympic

Postby Rickyrama » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:37 am

Hello, there is any member who has a Riva Olympic or tried an Olympic? What are the advantages and the problem of that Riva? Is Better an Olympic or the Ariston of the same years? thanks :)
Rickyrama

Re: Riva Olympic

Postby martinfeletto » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:49 am

I own two Olympics now and have experience with them. I also own and have speant a great deal of time in Aristons. They are two very different types of boats. The Olympic being an open, or "utility" model as we say in the US, and the Ariston being an enclosed "runabout" without a large "playpen" or sundeck. Also, all Olympics are basically the same except the later ones had a bit more horsepower. However, there are a number of varieties of Aristons and Super Aristons throughout the years.

Series three and late single-vent Super Aristons would be the direct comparison on a year to year basis. Having pointed out the differing types of boats, let me say that I feel an Olympic, pound for pound, is the best riding and handling Riva ever made. It is one of my favorite boats, and I think undervalued in terms of market value. It is also one of the most useful in terms of lots of room in the boat.

Aristons are a bit larger, with the late single-vent Supers being almost 23 feet versus 20 1/2 feet for an Olympic. They are wonderful, but in this case of a direct comparison I would generalize that the Aristons would cost likely twice what the same year Olympic would. Aristons and Super Aristons in these years are the best riding of all of the Aristons produced. They are also the most valuable.
martinfeletto

Postby Rickyrama » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:49 am

Thank you very much, you've been very clear. I agree that the Olympic is undervalue, because is more practical and comfortable than Ariston, also for performance is equal than Ariston (Super Ariston is faster) and Ariston is only 20cm longer than Olympic. Olympic is more rare than Ariston, so I really don't understand why the Olympic cost half than Ariston. So I think that the right choice now is the Olympic are you agree?
Rickyrama

Postby martinfeletto » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 am

I agree with your statements and analysis. You will have to make the final decision. Good luck and thanks for participating in RivaForum!
martinfeletto

Postby africantiger » Wed May 08, 2013 11:33 pm

The Olympic is to really use, it handles like a dream and is far more practical in all ways, and values are rising for clean boats.
Is the most sexy Riva in the water, like a classic Ferrari
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by africantiger on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
africantiger

Postby Don Ayers » Thu May 09, 2013 8:57 am

Ariston is most Sexy.... :D

But love them all :D
Don Ayers
Oklahoma
1959 Ariston 266
Don Ayers

Postby Roy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:05 pm

I have had an Olympic for about ten years I keep it at Salo on Lake Garda in Italy. Whilst it is no doubt a fun boat and we have had a lot of fun with it, it does most things easily and the sun pad is a really good comfortable area to lounge about on. Even underway its probably the most comfortable place on the boat. We had a small bathing platform fitted on the stern which made getting in and out of the water a great deal easier as there is a slight overhang and reverse to the transom that makes using the normal swim ladder quite difficult, make that very difficult.

However, there is always an 'however', it's just not sexy, you know what I mean, that imponderable Riva style. We get a lot of admiring comments but when its moored next to an Ariston or even worse an Aquarama well .....

In England some years ago there was a famous comedy sketch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mURhNIjc-Kw the Olympic is on the right. Enjoy !! Oh and I've finally managed to get my hands on an old Ariston which is currently being restored.
Roy

Postby africantiger » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:54 pm

africantiger

Postby xylon103 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:59 pm

cant open the video in Germany because of some musik rights.
xylon103

Return to From Rivaforum