It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:48 am Advanced search

Special announcement AQ50/Carlo 90 2012

Moderators: Eric T., Don Ayers, martinfeletto, RonSchultz

Special announcement AQ50/Carlo 90 2012

Postby Don Ayers » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:49 pm

2012 marks the 50th anniversary of the Riva Aquarama, a nautical legend that was proclaimed “ The Best Boat Ever Made” by Motor Boat and Yachting magazines.
Treasured for its elegant lines, fast speed and superior craftsmanship, the Riva Aquarama is described by many as the Ferrari of wooden boats.

In recognition of this celebrated classic, The Tahoe Yacht Club Foundation is recognizing the Riva Aquarama as the Marque Class for 2012. Only 768 Riva Aquaramas were created during the production run of 1962-1996. It is guaranteed that the 2012 Concours d’Elegance will feature the largest assemblage of these rare Rivas ever seen in the United States.

The display of historic Rivas at the 2012 Concours d’Elegance promises to bring an international flavor to next year’s show. The Concours d’Elegance will be followed three weeks later by a sister celebration of Rivas in Sarnico, Italy. Carlo Riva, the creator and builder, celebrates his 90th birthday in 2012 and will receive special honors at these two sister events.
Don Ayers
Oklahoma
1959 Ariston 266
Don Ayers

Re: Special announcement AQ50/Carlo 90 2012

Postby martinfeletto » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:22 pm

Just met at Tahoe with others involved in both the Riva Club USA event and also the TYC Foundation show. The dates are confirmed for the show being August 10, 11, 2012. The RCUSA event will begin Thursday August 9 and conclude either Monday evening the 13th or midday on Tuesday the 14th. The subscription through RCUSA will feature both the boat show and associated events and RCUSA events. Within the next couple of weeks I'll post the official events schedule for the 2.

We will also arrange an early on-line ability to enter a boat into the TYC show for either judging or display. This way if anyone is planning on coming a long distance they can arrange things early. We will encourage all Riva owners who want to bring a boat to enter early for our organizational purposes. Things such as rooms, other travel arrangements, etc etc are coming. Please anyone with questions please post here and I'll try and answer. Lastly the Pebble Beach car week events start when we will end so anyone wanting both can keep going. Pebble Beach is about 5 hours from Lake Tahoe. We also may at Lake Tahoe or San Francisco have an earlier RCUSA or later event which will be outside the program subscription for people to choose if they want.

A little background - these sister events in Lake Tahoe and Sarnico are to salute both the 50 year anniversary of the Aquarama and the 90th birthday of Carlo Riva. The Aquarama will be the marques class (featured) boat at the Tahoe show. However, we hope to have other Rivas there also. Boats can be judged or simply displayed. Boats entered in the show will have to be applied for and registered through the TYC Foundation, our partners in this event. I and others on this forum will assist anyone getting this done.

Lastly - we are calling this portion of the international events AQ 50 - Carlo 90 meaning Aquarama 50 years old and Carlo 90 years old. That is how many of us will refer to the combined event at Lake Tahoe.

One last thing. For anyone reading this in Europe or even parts of the US - we will have on-the-water events and we will make sure that every one of our RHS members gets on a boat. You will not have to sign up for a particular boat or with a particular boat. Just come here. We will work it out so that everyone gets to the events. Conversely, many members of RCUSA and perhaps other RHS clubs throughout the world will go to Sarnico, perhaps without a definite assignment to a friends boat or any boat. RHS and RCUSA have discussed this. RCUSA for the Tahoe event has decided to gather all of our RHS friends who are attending and do not have a boat at Tahoe into somewhat of a pool and then we will see who amongst us has any room on their boat to take these guests along. If for some reason we run out of Riva boats we will get other wooden boats - everyone will get included and we will organize this at the event.

We hope also that our Italian and European friends will also do the same for us at Sarnico. We think there could be quite a few RCUSA members coming over, most without boats. After the initial grouping of people and boats then things just work out - everyone becomes friends and we all ride together. We Americans are also keen to fuel prices and our tradition is to assist with the cost of fuel when we are visiting and riding in others boats!
martinfeletto

Postby oggie43 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:16 pm

Hey Marty ...

Thanks for all your work on 2012 and your post.

Dale
oggie43

Postby FCE woodiesparts » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:50 am

Hi martin, as I wrote to Don, I really want to come to the USA with my family ( wife and son). As a Belgian guy I'm certainly going to sarnico and I can take 2 passengers with me. I will be there upfront with my boats( super Florida or Olympic) Because I intend to take part at navig'aix in France also and I can pickup my visitors at the closest airport , (I don't know if RHS has planed a bus or so.)
Bergamo/Orio al Serio Airport‎
24050 Orio al Serio Bergamo
Italy
035 326323
sacbo.it‎
Any way , I like to plan my trips far ahead so I have also a question for you guys, what is the closest airport to the lake Tahoe meeting, is there a special bus or .... Is there an option to stay a little longer, it seems odd to travel so far, for the first time to the USA and stay there for 3 days.

Ps. The week before sarnico there is also a meeting in south France ( city Aix les bains) where the latest years rhs also attends. See YouTube navig'aix . Visitors of the USA could make the trip to Europe worthwile.
FCE woodiesparts

Postby martinfeletto » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:10 am

Thank you for the offer of rides/space in your boats at the Sarnico event. Early indications from our members here in the US point to quite a few of us coming over and only a few US owned boats so we will need lots of rides! In terms of arriving in Italy - myself and I think most of us coming from the US will plan on a 1 or 2 week vacation including the Riva event. I usually fly into Milan or the next closest international airport and rent a car for the time of the vacation. That is my plan for 2012 and I expect that many others will do the same.

In terms of you coming to California and Lake Tahoe I can encourage you to do the same meaning stay and vacation and see the state and country after such a long flight. Our event will be 5 days - starting Thursday August 9, 2012 and ending Monday August 13, 2012. The closest 2 airports are Reno, Nevada (1 hour from Lake Tahoe) and Sacramento, California (2 hours from Lake Tahoe) . In terms of larger international airports San Francisco is the closest (4 hour drive to Tahoe). There is bus and train travel in northern California but not like Europe. Frankly - everybody just rents a car and drives.

You can also start in Southern California if you want and make your way up the California coast and end up in Lake Tahoe. Then you would fly into Los Angeles. There are many things to see in California to make a week or two trip worthwhile.

There are hotels in Tahoe City, California which is the closest city to the event - about 5 miles, but think we can arrange many of the condominiums in a complex across the street from the event called Carnelian Woods. We have not yet but think we can so stay tuned for that. RHS/ RCUSA will in one way or another get some lodging options for our members

Please everyone note that is reading this that the events in 2012 will almost exclusively be at and around Sierra Boat Company in Carnelian Bay at the north shore of Lake Tahoe. http://www.sierraboat.com/contactus

Please all continue to post and ask questions so we can get as much information out as possible as early as possible.
martinfeletto

Postby martinfeletto » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:11 pm

Hello all - I am just posting to let you know that we are still working on getting the program and administration firmed up for the Tahoe event in August 2012. Don Ayers is now the co-chairman of the overall event with me which is really great and will help move things forward. Dirk Reid and Dale Reynolds of the RCUSA Board have also moved into a more direct hands-on day-to-day involvement - this too is just perfect. We are meeting with some consultants this Wednesday to see if we can get them on board - we will be looking for sponsorship to help us pay for them - we really do need them to help us make this a first class event.

This is our priority now and if anyone out there wants to help please post back to me or Don. Also - the event, we hope, will not be overly expensive. Our goal is to raise sponsorship to cover all of the overhead and administrative expenses of putting this on, and the entry (subscription) would then only cover the actual or most of the costs of the events which is mostly food and hospitality. We know it costs a lot to come visit, get accommodations, and the last thing you need is to have to subscribe to a bunch of overly expensive meals and events - that will not happen here. You will have to subscribe to the whole 4 1/2 day event as RHS does which will include the boat show, but we will really try to keep it affordable.

By the way - while I am thinking of it - unlike the events I have participated in in Europe - our event in August at Lake Tahoe will be totally casual dress. We will have a big dress-up diner on Sunday night - but even then a coat and tie is recommended but not required. What is required is that everyone enjoy themselves!!

If you are reading this and planning on coming from a distance - be it Florida or Milan - and want to, as I would, make early arrangements for travel and also possibly to have your boat accepted for the Tahoe boat show - we will be trying real hard to have the TYC Foundation (who puts on the actual boat show) get packages out and available on-line in January or February. There is an "acceptance" of the boat required but most Rivas are always show-worthy so this is less of a concern. We do have a limit of 40 Rivas with an emphasis on the most Aquaramas as possible so pay attention as we move forward.

The RCUSA schedule remains as I posted above starting Thursday evening and concluding Monday late afternoon.

Lastly - we are going to accommodate in every way possible our visitors from out of our area with help, boat rides, assistance with accommodations, etc. Many of us will be coming to Italy also 3 weeks later and will need to ask our extended Riva family to help us out there with rides and other things. Piero and Mariella are, as we are, trying to plan for guests and accommodate all. To do this we are going to start (Don is going to start) a new section here on RivaForum to begin the process of communicating who is planning on coming to Lake Tahoe, and who from the US is planning on going to Italy. We need to have some idea how many people are planning on attending each of the events so that we can as I said plan boat rides and help in any other way possible. Watch for Don to launch this very soon.If you know you are coming here (Tahoe) or going there (Sarnico) - go ahead and post it right here now - we will count it up later.

I'll try and post when there is something to report but don't wait or worry we are moving forward and will have a great event next August and also in September in Italy!!

Marty Feletto
martinfeletto

Postby Don Ayers » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:19 pm

TYC posts the official poster for the 2012 Concours

Aquarama is the Marque class and 50th Anniv.

http://www.laketahoeconcours.com/?utm_s ... dium=email
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Ayers
Oklahoma
1959 Ariston 266
Don Ayers

Postby Don Ayers » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:45 pm

ATTN ALL:

The Riva Club USA now has the official inscription page up for the Lake Tahoe Aquarama 50th Anniversary Celebration

Please follow this link for all the information you need to inscribe. All RHS members are welcome to come to America for this once in a lifetime event!

If you inscribe for the event you will be assigned to a boat for all the events!!!! No Worries for our friends abroad, we welcome you with open arms!

http://www.RivaTahoe2012.com
Don Ayers
Oklahoma
1959 Ariston 266
Don Ayers

Return to AQ 50 / Carlo 90 2012 Celebration Events