It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:19 pm Advanced search

CHRYSLER SEA V M80 Cooling system

Post your technical questions directly related to the Rivaforum here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Eric T., Don Ayers, martinfeletto, RonSchultz

CHRYSLER SEA V M80 Cooling system

Postby RIVA345 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:43 am

The Chrysler Sea V is a typical motor to make some problems when it was prepared to work in boats. Especially the thermostats
open late before allowing the cooling -water to flow over board. So the motor is running pretty warm the first time, causing this time steam out of the exhausts. Some owners try to get rid of this ( I mean it is only optical problem) steam, by taking out the Thermostats so that they have a flow-through from the beginning. I`m not sure, but would`nt this cause that the motor now is running too cold?
Is there anybody having experience ? The thermostats in my Chrysler are working with the correct temperature as mentioned in the Manual.
RIVA345

Re: CHRYSLER SEA V M80 Cooling system

Postby Don Ayers » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:55 pm

I talked with David Van Ness and he explained it very well to me how the entire system works.

He said he would post something

Thanks for your patience.
Don Ayers
Oklahoma
1959 Ariston 266
Don Ayers

Postby RIVA345 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:31 am

I found the reason, when the motor has had a totally inspection this year : the thermostats are extremely sensitiv to saltwater.
It makes corrosion,so that they may stop working. It makes no sense, to take them out at all,because the motor will not come to perfect temperature. Conclusion: either take them out every seasons end ore avoid driving in saltwater.
Nevertheless, the Chrysler has the best sound .......
RIVA345

Postby Don Ayers » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:45 am

Good to know.

Post some pictures of your engine

Thanks

Don
Don Ayers
Oklahoma
1959 Ariston 266
Don Ayers

Return to Rivaforum Support