It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:58 pm Advanced search

To seal the hull of a Riva

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Eric T., Don Ayers, martinfeletto, RonSchultz

To seal the hull of a Riva

Postby oriol » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:12 am

Hello. I am the owner of the #202 Riva Florida. This is the last one made using planks not plywood. I am planning to restore the hull. In the book The Complete Wooden Runabout Restoration Guide, Don Danenberg recommends to use 3M 5200 as sealant. I have been searching some information about this product and seems to be appropriate for that operation but it is also difficult to remove.
I actually don't know if this operation is necessary or this 3M sealant can be a problem in the future but I certainly would prefer to have some comments and recommendations in order to know for sure what to do. Thank you.
oriol

Re: To seal the hull of a Riva

Postby Don Ayers » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:40 pm

Thank you for the post. A great topic indeed.

Here is a video of thoughts on the subject.

I hope many others will respond to this important subject.

Please let us know if you find this helpful

Don Ayers
Oklahoma
1959 Ariston 266
Don Ayers

Re: To seal the hull of a Riva

Postby oriol » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:09 am

This has been a wonderful explanation! Thank you. As you said, that is also my opinion, the planks are going to move whatever I do as they are screewed to the structure and they are thick. The idea of modifying the internal part of the hull seems interesting to me but at the same time it will modify the original construction and this is something I would like to avoid. I should consider also that I am mainly sailing in the mediterranean sea. Here we mostly have small but powerfull waves that kick the hull very often. The traditional boats are the LlaĆ¼ts that resist very well this kind of waves and are made with planks as well. The rest of the members of the Club Riva de Catalunya use to tell me that this plank construction -not so rigid and more flexible- is more suitable for this kind of sea.
Of course there is a contradiction between this hull movement -produced as you said by the seasonal temperature changes but also by the impact of waves in my case- and the varnish -that has a minor flexibility- that may cause minor cracks.
So considering this information, I will appreciate any further advice you can give me.
Thank you.
oriol

Return to Hull Construction