It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:49 pm Advanced search

1969 Riva Ariston top deck material

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Eric T., Don Ayers, martinfeletto, RonSchultz

1969 Riva Ariston top deck material

Postby oggie43 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:29 pm

What type of wood was used on my 69' Ariston, Hull # 908? Attached is a picture of her at Centro Nautico Salo', Lake Garda
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oggie43

Re: 1969 Riva Ariston top deck material

Postby martinfeletto » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:56 pm

The deck plywood or the margin boards (we call them covering boards)? There is a plywood decking , the blonde, made in Milan, Nord Compensati. Then there is plywood out to the edge of the deck. Then there is solid material along the deck edge. We call that the sheerline in the US. Depending on which piece we can supply you the information.
martinfeletto

Postby Don Ayers » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:23 pm

I can't speak to 1969 but on my 1959 the wood was Kaya or sometimes spelled Khaya (which means in translation, "I don't know")

It is a much different wood than the rest of the hull and the grain pattern is much different. Also, this certain wood should appear lighter in tone as it ages.

One important thing is the wood the strips are made of. In the US we call it Spruce or a long grain Fir and in the EU many call it Maple. What we in the US call Maple is not the same wood.

Here are some pics of different Riva decks from boats in the 1960's.

PS. Maybe someone else knows but I think the deck for your model is made with just three layers.

Pictures from Marty Feletto collection of boats
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Ayers
Oklahoma
1959 Ariston 266
Don Ayers

Postby martinfeletto » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Rudy, Dave - Herb/ Alan - we need you solve this Please post -you actually know the answer.
martinfeletto

Postby AlexB » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:16 am

martinfeletto wrote:Rudy, Dave - Herb/ Alan - we need you solve this Please post -you actually know the answer.

All late models are sipo. The dashboards are Honduras.
AlexB

Postby rudy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:23 pm

The wood on the top layer of the original three ply deck material is light kaya and the darker sides or covering boards is sapalee or sipo. Both sapalee and sipo are very close in grain structure and coloring. Either wood will work for the darker sections of the deck. When replacing the lighter section with the inlayed strips, light kaya needs to be used and spruce (not maple) for the 4mm inlayed strips. The wood for dashboards and dash caps is spanish cedar not honduras. Honduras is much to dark and has a much different grain structure. Although this wood is called honduras in the books ,(Carlo the legend, Riva the myth) a closer look shows the botanical name as cedrella ordota, Spanish cedar. I am sure somethings get lost in translation from Italian to english.
rudy

Postby martinfeletto » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:26 am

Rudy - great post. How about going a bit further and explaining the topsides and transom?
martinfeletto

Return to Hull Construction