It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:16 pm Advanced search

sand back and varnish has turned into this

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Eric T., Don Ayers, martinfeletto, RonSchultz

Re: sand back and varnish has turned into this

Postby Eric T. » Thu May 24, 2012 3:49 pm

Unless you are trying to do an Exact historic restoration on your boat...

It would be best to use the Carbon/Ceramic face glands (aka stuffing box).

The best, in my opinion, are from PYI Inc... They need no maintenance and are trouble free.

I've installed dozens of these on Rivas here in the States and also in Italy...and even more on large yachts.

They are the most problem free units you will find..

http://www.shaftseal.com/du/categories

Ufin, in Milano, has in-inventory, the full line of these.
http://www.ufin.com/index.html

If you have Inch shaft/log... there are plenty of online vendors that will ship to europe... if you need recommendations, let me know.

Good luck.

Eric T.

Postby briduthie » Thu May 24, 2012 4:45 pm

not a very good photo but the stern was replaced some years ago with just marine ply and is painted white

heres a pic from today marked out bottom of waterline and was primed, also gave it another coat of varnish shine is starting to appear, customer is very happy so far :D
Last edited by briduthie on Thu May 24, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
briduthie

Postby briduthie » Thu May 24, 2012 4:54 pm

briduthie wrote:
Eric T. wrote:Unless you are trying to do an Exact historic restoration on your boat...

It would be best to use the Carbon/Ceramic face glands (aka stuffing box).

The best, in my opinion, are from PYI Inc... They need no maintenance and are trouble free.

I've installed dozens of these on Rivas here in the States and also in Italy...and even more on large yachts.

They are the most problem free units you will find..

http://www.shaftseal.com/du/categories

Ufin, in Milano, has in-inventory, the full line of these.
http://www.ufin.com/index.html

If you have Inch shaft/log... there are plenty of online vendors that will ship to europe... if you need recommendations, let me know.

Good luck.

xylon103 wrote:Hi Bri, now i had time to look at your paintings. Look rearly good now. What type of wood you have in the stern. It look more like oak color. Or is t the photo?

hi Eric

not sure if carbon/ceramic would work on this boat il show you a pic
at the end of the tube their is a ball
i will speak to marine engineer tomorrow and see what he thinks. thank you for your help. i take it your a boat builder your self ?
briduthie

Postby xylon103 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:25 am

Hi Bri, i forgot to send you my e-mail adress.

ahilpisch@gmx.de
xylon103

Postby xylon103 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:29 am

briduthie wrote:not a very good photo but the stern was replaced some years ago with just marine ply and is painted white

heres a pic from today marked out bottom of waterline and was primed, also gave it another coat of varnish shine is starting to appear, customer is very happy so far :D

looks much better now
xylon103

Postby xylon103 » Sun May 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi Bri, here my work fron weekend: Wooden frame above instrument board(not painted yet) and adding furher the wooden floor from Cockpit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xylon103

Postby briduthie » Sun May 27, 2012 1:36 pm

thats good work their looks really good, when you hoping to have her finished and on the water
briduthie

Postby xylon103 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi Bri, thank you, I try to bring her this year in to the water. As soon as possible. But you also know that the "devil is in details" and sometime you waisting times on doing things you never thought about it. And in the moment I dont have a big project so I hopfully are not to often away from home. Yesterday i have checked the old side wood in cockpit and decided to make it new. But I have to order wood again. 4mm sipo plywood. What is your next step?
xylon103

Postby xylon103 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi Bri, how is it going? You getting further on your projects?
xylon103

Postby briduthie » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:10 pm

hi sorry not had time to post recently been busy sorting my classic car.
theirs been a bit of progress
waterline and bottom done
now for the shiny bits
just about their, just need shaft seal and engine fitted then we can put in the water and line up engine, refit interior and that should be that. be sad to see it go really enjoyed working on it.
how you getting on with yours ?
briduthie

Postby xylon103 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:31 am

Hi Bri, nice to hear from you again. Nice Pictures, well done work and looks rearly good. But by the way you should clean the objective from your photo :D

I started painting also. I was using a Brush for painting. Started first with "Pasta Mogana" in two layers.
See next pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xylon103

Postby xylon103 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:54 am

After that I brushed 8 Layers of clear "Venice PU910" on it and let it dry for nearly two weeks. (Had no time because of new IT Softwareproject in Swiss)
xylon103

Postby xylon103 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:02 am

End of last week I Started Sanding it flat, to prepare for the next 8-10 Layers.
xylon103

Postby xylon103 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:09 am

In the Moment i am working of finishing the rest wood for Inside and the starting with the enginecover. I have to lift the engine in to masure up the exact high of it. Is still little things of wood to do. Also to buy the side wall wood for cockpit walls. I decidet to make it new. But for that I have to drive 150km to pick it up. 5mm sapeli ply wood. Thats easier than ordering it from north Germany. Would cost me more if I would do. I laso have the paint for the inside wich I will do after paynting outside. i have to sand the outside anyway ;) So i dont care about the mess painting inside. You see I still have a lot of work iand I am not getting boring :D

I will make some new pictures in a week. I hope i will find some times to work on it
xylon103

Postby xylon103 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi Bri...yes I can emagine that feeling working on it. Thats complete different to plastik or steelboats. This wooden boats have a soul. And its much more fun seeing the wood getting to its best. As more you work on it as more you want to get 120 %.
And that is the different to other material. And Wood is timeless. I think it. I dont mind driving a new sport daycruiser but I never would like to build one.
xylon103

Postby xylon103 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:31 am

Hi Bri, I like to know how your seat construktion is on your boat. Could you place some pictures of it in the forum? reg Andi
xylon103

Postby briduthie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:20 am

hi sorry not been on here lately, been busy with it being school holidays.
the boat left on friday 13th, and owner is now sunning himself on lake orta in italy.
the boat will be back with us in a few weeks il get pics to you then if that helps

here's a few pics of engine
and this machined out of brass and cromed by a local engineer look brilliant i think
and first start up of engine
briduthie

Postby Don Ayers » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:48 pm

It looks great!

It that a BMP engine?

What is the horse power?

Thanks for posting pictures
Don Ayers
Oklahoma
1959 Ariston 266
Don Ayers

Postby xylon103 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:05 am

Hi Bri...no problem. I know work comes first. Splecialy when you are under timepressure.
Thank You for the pictures. Engin look rearly good. Nice to see your work and details. Must be fun now to drive around with that boat. So when it comes back you will start on the rest woodwork?
I finished my enginecover and I have seen that it is longer then on super florida model. Still want to ask you if you have some pictures from frontseat underconstuction. Next pictures you see my engine put in just form messurements. Engine will be checked out on a college if it still runs;-)
xylon103

Postby xylon103 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:09 am

The engine is a Flagship V8 with Velvet transmission.
xylon103

Postby xylon103 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:13 am

another view
xylon103

Postby briduthie » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:23 pm

hi
no its a bpm engine 4.2 litre 4 cylinder think bhp is around 150-180.
how are you getting on with yours ? any more pics your v8 will sound awesome :mrgreen:

yeh think the plan is to renew decks, when the boat comes back i will get you measurements and pics of front seating
briduthie

Postby xylon103 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:15 am

Hi Bri, i am getting forward but find out that woodwork does need more time as I thought. I finished the sidepanels for cockpit. Now it's only one wood peace left than i start paintjob again. I will have 3 weeks holiday and i hope i get most done in that time.
See my seat construktion. I did the same as it was in the boat because no one could gibe me other plans.
xylon103

Postby xylon103 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:17 am

I also finished new enginecover
xylon103

Postby xylon103 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:18 am

Engine Sound? oh yes..... I cant wait for that sound when its running.
xylon103

PreviousNext

Return to Hull Construction