It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:45 am Advanced search

Stoppani

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a like-new finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Eric T., Don Ayers, martinfeletto, RonSchultz

Stoppani

Postby Oblio » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Stoppani are of course very happy with the loyal Riva owners that will always want the "original"finish, however technology has advanced a lot, nobody will glue a bottom with a cotton strip anymore For instance, i am currently on the verge of revarnishing a stripped junior and cannot decide on the system i will put on, the original stoppani 24 layer system or an epoxy 2 layer and 3 layer finish, or anything inbetween.
Everybody has a different opinion and that does n,t help in my decision.
I have plenty of time to do the job but i do not want to redo it in 5 years.
Please advise.
I hear that "de ijssel" will give a georgeous finish that will last.
One more BIGGIE how do i apply the stoppani colouring paste without making an orange boat.
I just put a new bottom on my boat and had the engine overhauled so i want it to be A-OK.
Greetz
Tim
Oblio

Re: Stoppani

Postby Don Ayers » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:44 pm

Tim;

I am not knowledgeable enough to comment but you are right to do some research before doing it.

Over here some use Awlgrip product rather than epoxy.

http://www.awlgrip.com/awlgrip-home.aspx
Don Ayers
Oklahoma
1959 Ariston 266
Don Ayers

Postby bjornbakken » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:17 pm

This is new territory for me as well. And I guess, for good reasons, the pro's won't tell us amateurs how to do it.

Regarding the Stoppani mahogany paste, I've learned that the paste is thinned 50% with 911 thinner before application. Please shout out if I'm way off on that, not sure I want a "Veuve Clicquot" Florida :-)

Bjorn B.
bjornbakken

Postby Don Ayers » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Bjorn;

Your Florida is a early model and would have originally been varnished with traditional material. It was not until the mid 1960's that Riva changed over to the two-part finishes.

My AR is from 1959 so I used traditional Varnish from Epifanes

http://www.epifanes.com/

Much easier to deal with.

By the way, I have heard that the Stoppani stain is not easy to use. With traditional varnish you can use a off-the-shelf paste filler stain.

In my case we had original parts of my boat and others of the same era and we custom matched it to retain the original look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Ayers
Oklahoma
1959 Ariston 266
Don Ayers

Postby bjornbakken » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:31 am

Thank you very much for that information Don. I learn new things everyday. Now the challenge to find a good filler stain here in Scandinavia. Epifanes is no problem.

Bjorn B.
bjornbakken

Postby Don Ayers » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Bjorn;

I did a lot of testing on the available stains and am glad to share with you.

What is your time frame? How long before you need to start staining?
Don Ayers
Oklahoma
1959 Ariston 266
Don Ayers

Postby bjornbakken » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:09 pm

Don:

It will be another 2 months or so. Will have the new bottom done, painted and the boat rolled over by end of January. Appreciate your help.

Thanks again.

Bjorn.
bjornbakken

Return to Finishing