It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:17 pm Advanced search

Down to bare wood.

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a like-new finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Eric T., Don Ayers, martinfeletto, RonSchultz

Down to bare wood.

Postby bjornbakken » Thu May 30, 2013 2:51 pm

I just acquired Florida No. 319 here in Norway, a "rough user" condition boat that I'm replacing the bottom on and refinishing over the next year. The finish is very tired looking and I'll need to take it down to bare wood, and possibly need to replace the deck. The covering boards are good, but the "blonde wood" have seen better days. Since No. 319 of 1958 is the first year with plywood sides, I'm researching best way and experiences to get the sides and deck down to bare wood. Basically there is using chemical strippers, heat and scraping or just sanding the layers off. I see several disadvantages with all the methods, like discoloration and delimitation with strippers and heat.

Any experiences and thoughts to share?

Thanks, Bjorn B.
bjornbakken

Re: Down to bare wood.

Postby Don Ayers » Fri May 31, 2013 7:00 am

Bjorn;

Great to hear you found a Riva. Congrats!!!

Good for you to ask questions.

You will want to consider doing as little sanding as possible. No doubt the top layers of the lamination are already thin so you should chose to strip the boat using other methods.

If you sand through the top layer you will expose the next one that is running in a different direction. This can look very bad.

I suggest you get the older varnish off and then hand sand most of the critical areas. Which are around the coverboards where the deck meets them and where the sides meet the transom area.

Post some pics!!!!
Don Ayers
Oklahoma
1959 Ariston 266
Don Ayers

Postby TRITONE » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:13 pm

I have had the best results using chemical strippers, with LOTS of warm water to rinse and neutralize. Yes, chemicals are bad, but as Don noted, sanding through the lamination is really not good! Use plenty of plastic and paper to collect the strippings. Plenty of liquid, brushed on and kept 'wet'. Light pull-scraping with a plastic blade. The warm water rinse after was the key for me. We always used 'aircraft grade' liquid stripper. Wear VERY good quality solvent-resistant gloves, long sleeves, and goggles. Messy, but satisfying when finished and washed clean. Very careful block sanding after to equalize the color & texture.
Lykke til !
TRITONE

Postby bjornbakken » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:23 am

Thanks for the feedback. The paint strippers here in Norway is like the legal ones in California, with all the chemicals banned. I think I'll get a few different types and make some trials on the bottom, when I get the boat over.
bjornbakken

Postby TRITONE » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:08 pm

bjornbakken wrote:Thanks for the feedback. The paint strippers here in Norway is like the legal ones in California, with all the chemicals banned. I think I'll get a few different types and make some trials on the bottom, when I get the boat over.

I understand.....I used to be a Californian.

Find a shop that restores classic cars; see what they use to strip old paint during the restoration process....
Go make friends with a professional aircraft painter, then ask for a sample of his stripper product..... :roll:
TRITONE

Postby alfredochandler » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:47 pm

The upper part which is thin in that you should keep a metal sheet there as it will be able to bear the weight and if you are searching for aircraft painter then I know one that are direct metal laser sintering.
alfredochandler

Postby Oblio » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:43 pm

I,ve just stripped my Junior with a HOT blowdryer and a bunch of very sharp scrapers, this will get you the best result, i am now in the process of renewing my bottom(haha). i will upload some pics if i can find out how
Oblio

Postby Don Ayers » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:00 pm

Great!!

When you are ready to post some pictures of your Junior restoration please start a new thread.

And include a short bio on your Riva, what year, hull number etc

Thanks and welcome

Don
Don Ayers
Oklahoma
1959 Ariston 266
Don Ayers

Postby bjornbakken » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Oblio wrote:I,ve just stripped my Junior with a HOT blowdryer and a bunch of very sharp scrapers, this will get you the best result, i am now in the process of renewing my bottom(haha). i will upload some pics if i can find out how

Just want to update with my experience. After trying a few chemical strippers, hot air gun and scrapers has worked the best for me as well. I made sure that the the corners on the scrapers are rounded.

I've created a little restoration journal here: www.rivaflorida319.blogspot.com. (that I need to update….)

Bjorn B.
bjornbakken

Postby Don Ayers » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:40 pm

very nice!!!
Don Ayers
Oklahoma
1959 Ariston 266
Don Ayers

Postby Thierrylao » Mon May 11, 2015 9:55 pm

Please update Bjorn, and the blog too!!!!!!!!!!!
Thierry
Thierrylao

Return to Finishing