It is currently Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:22 pm Advanced search

Super Ariston 1964 Model 624 - Chrysler 413D

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Eric T., Don Ayers, martinfeletto, RonSchultz

Super Ariston 1964 Model 624 - Chrysler 413D

Postby monacomik » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:47 am

Just joined your great initiative, than you Don!

My Super Ariston is kept in the Monaco, thus being exposed to salt water during the whole summer season, from July to October, when I then have her shipped up to Sarnico for restoration.

Being a passionate Riva aficionado, but knows nothing about engines. The question I have is related to keeping the engine in best optimal condition, being exposed to the salt water for quite a few months.

Any handy notes that members of the forum can pass onto me.

With many thanks
Monacomik
monacomik

Re: Super Ariston 1964 Model 624 - Chrysler 413D

Postby Don Ayers » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:20 pm

Thank you for your post!

You have a wonderful Riva with the Chrysler 413D. I know some friends on Lake Tahoe that have the same boat. See picture.

Here in the States many people use their boats in Salt water. I am not as expert but I use a product called "Salt Away".

After you finish using the boat in salt water, remove or "haul" it out. Mix up a solution of Salt Away and clean water and run through the engine to flush the system. This product will get the salt out and protect the iron.

Also when the boat is in storage for long periods many people run Marine and RV Antifreeze into the engine. Once the solution comes out the exhaust pipe then you shut off the engine. This will leave the Anti-freeze in the block and that is helpful as many of these fluids have anti-rusting properties in them.

I hope this helps, please see pictures of the product.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Ayers
Las Vegas
1978 Riva St. Tropez
Don Ayers

Postby monacomik » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:00 am

Thank you for your detailed response.. and the pix
monacomik

Postby martinfeletto » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:13 am

I assume you have the boat at Monaco Boat Service during the summer - do they service the engine and boat before it goes to RAM, or does RAM service the engine for storage? As Don said, either should flush the salt water out of the engine before storage. The block of the engine is what will ultimately be affected the most by salt water use - you should consider purchasing another spare block or parts engine. They are likely rare in Europe but I don't think that hard to find here in the US.
martinfeletto

Return to Engines & Powertrain